I’m a huge granola lover, huge huge huge. And the first time I made
granola was when we lived in The Island, you know, The Island gets the
Martha Stewart out of you, though to be completely honest, making
granola is the easiest thing ever. Easy and quick! Anyway, the other day I was craving something sweet but I wanted something
somewhat healthy, so as I was getting out all the ingredients for my usual granola recipe (which I got from a friend), I realized that I
didn’t have everything, so based on that recipe, I improvised with what I found in the kitchen!
Don’t you love when something that you totally make up works? It is the best I tell ya! And it’s even better when you surprisingly decided to write down all the quantities (something I never do!) just in case it came up good. Well, this is my go-to granola recipe now, and you can totally add whatever topping (you know, dried fruits, nuts and such) you like. This is what I usually eat pre-runs and a great snack to have handy 😉
– 2 cups of oats
– 1 cup coconut
– 1/2 cup almond meal (I guess you can replace it with hazelnut meal)*
– 1/2 cup wheat germ
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup of slivered almonds
– 3/4 cup of hooney
– 1/4 cup water (it can be substituted with apple sauce, coconut oil or something alike)
– Extras such as dark chocolate chips, dried apricot, dried pineapple, raisins, cranberries…anything you like really (I usually toss in dried apricots, and when I want to avoid eating sweets I swap the apricots for chocolate chips)
What to do:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl in the same order as mentioned, press with your fingers on a baking dish and bake for 15-20 min (depending on your oven) at 350. Let it cool down before cutting in squares. It will last a couple of days if stored in a container 😉 Enjoy it!
* just in case you don’t know, almond meal is just ground almonds, same as hazelnut meal.
Straight out of the oven