Protein bites are a weekly staple in my kitchen, not only they are super easy to make, but they make the perfect pre and post workout energy bite. And because I’m always on the go, having a bowl in the fridge filled with these is very practical and convenient.
So last week I decided to give my old recipe a little spin and instead of combining everything in a bowl like I normally do, I decided to use the food processor and add some medjool dates, something that I’ve been cooking with a lot lately. Well, let me tell you that these turned out insanely delicious, seriously decadent and sweet, but packed with a lot of protein and good stuff 🙂
They are not messy and sticky like these, have waaaay less sugar, and the flavour is just so so good, trust me, make these!
– 3 medjool dates, pitted
– 1 tbsp. ground chia seeds
– 1 tbsp. flax meal
– 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
– 1 scoop protein powder (I use VEGA Vanilla protein powder)
– 1/3 cup oats
– 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
– 1/2 cup almond butter
– 1 tbsp. raw honey
– Add ons such as apricots, and dark chocolate chips to taste (you could also use raisins or cranberries)
– Coconut (I use the unsweetened kind)
WHAT TO DO:
– Place all ingredients (except add-ons) in a food processor, leaving the almond butter and raw honey for last and press until combined.
– Transfer to a bowl and mix in your add-ons. I like to divide it in two and add apricots to one half and dark chocolate chips to the other one 😉
– Take a small amount in your hand and pressing with your fist, shape it into small balls.
– Roll into coconut (optional). Since they are not sticky you have to press the coconut a little bit so that it sticks.
– Place in the fridge in a bowl with plastic wrap or container and enjoy!
It will look a bit crumbly, but it actually holds up pretty well when you press it together into a ball