If you have always thought that oatmeal is bland I hope I change your perception and inspire you to whip up this incredibly easy (and fast) recipe. This is my current everyday brekkie and I can’t tell you how delicious it is. I’d normally have granola with greek yogurt or almond milk for breakfast but since getting braces (yeah, what can I say, you gotta do what you gotta do), I had to come up with a non-crunchy option and I’m glad I was “forced” to do so because let me tell you, this has 29 grams of protein and just 6 grams of sugar (mostly from the blueberries). It is dairy free, gluten free and packed with flavour. Plus, it can be easily customizable by adding any fruit you like. I LOVE blueberries but one time I was out of them and used pears and it turned out amazing. You seriously can’t go wrong.
– 1 cup almond milk plus more for serving (optional). You can use any type of milk you like though.
– 2/3 cup oats. Sometimes I throw in a handful of quinoa flakes (you can find them at Whole Foods).
– 1 tbsp. almond butter.
– 1 tbsp. ground chia seeds.
– 1 to 2 tbsp. hemp hearts.
– A handful of blueberries or any fruit you like. Sometimes I mix in blackberries as well.
– 1/2 scoop protein powder (I use vanilla flavoured and plant based).
– A dash of cinnamon.
– 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut.
– Optional: a sprinkle of qi’a cereal.
– In a small pot over medium heat combine ingredients in this order: milk, oats, coconut, protein powder, chia seeds, hemp hearts, cinnamon, and almond butter. Stir until combined for about 3 minutes.
– Transfer to a bowl and add more milk if desired (I like to do so so that the texture is more creamy and not so dry). Top with blueberries and add seeds and nuts if you like to.
Approximate Nutritional value: 640 calories, 6 grams of sugar, 29 grams of protein.