After my recent trip to Mexico, I came to the conclusion that one great option to consider when building a versatile and practical swimwear collection is to own 5 key styles: a classic black bikini or one-piece, a solid one in your favourite colour and style, one with fun patterns or prints, a one-piece, and last but not least, one with embellishments (think ruffles, embroideries, frills). Not only does this help when choosing what to bring on a trip (trust me, you’ll avoid over-packing), but it will also maximize your choices and you will be able to make the most of what you have.
Mix and matching pieces that somewhat coordinate together becomes an easy task; patterns like stripes, polka-dots and leopard have proved to be classics, so they will go well with whatever you decide to mix them with. A one-piece becomes quite practical, especially if it has a special twist (a ruffle, a deep v-neck, a lace-up front), as you can wear it as a top to walk out and about or sit down for a meal. Stay tuned as I found some amazing swimsuits for all budgets that you don’t want to miss!
1. The Classic Black Bikini: A black bikini is the one we reach out for no matter how pale or tan we are, goes with everything and looks polished and classic. Just like the lbd, everyone, absolutely everyone needs a black swimsuit in their swim arsenal. Whereas you prefer a halter, an underwire top, a classic triangle shape, a deep V or a bandeau; you just can’t go wrong. Featured: J.Crew String Bikini Top and Bottom | J.Crew Scalloped Bikini Top and Bottom | J.Crew Plunge V-Neck | Marysia™ Antibes bikini top | J.Crew Underwire Top | Express Halter Top
2. A Solid One: Having a solid color piece will prove to be versatile as you will be able to mix and match it without any fuss. My recommendation is to go with your favourite colour and style! Featured: Express Ruffle Triangle Bikini Top and Bottom | Express Reversible Wrap Halter Top and Bottom | J.Crew String Bikini Top and Bottom
3. Printed: Whether you prefer polka-dots, stripes, florals, abstract patterns, gingham, or animal motifs like leopard and snakeskin, a print makes your piece more interesting and fun. Featured: Mara Hoffman® Wraparound Triangle Bikini Top and Bottom | Mara Hoffman® Side-Tie Bikini Top and Bottom | H&M Balconette Bikini Top and Bottom | Solid and Striped The Brigitte striped triangle bikini | J.Crew French bikini top and string bottom in leopard print
4. One-Piece: The beauty of owning a one-piece is that, apart from concealing certain insecurities, it doubles as a top and can be worn with any bottom to go out and about, especially if they have a cute detail like a ruffle, lace-up, scalloped edge or pretty ties 😉 Featured: J.Crew Gingham ruffle bandeau one-piece swimsuit | Marysia™ Antibes one-piece swimsuit | Marysia™ Palm Springs tie one-piece swimsuit | J.Crew Shoulder-tie one-piece swimsuit | J.Crew Gingham ruffle bandeau one-piece swimsuit
5. Fun & Flirty: Fun details can easily elevate simple silhouettes and give them a unique spin! Featured: Zimmermann Meridian Frill Bikini | Eberjey Flying Lotus ruffled floral-print triangle bikini | Gap Skirt | H&M Knee-Length Skirt | SEA Cotton Eyelet Skirt